Monday, May 24, 2010

Lucky

Lucky. I was thinking about this tonight while driving to Target- for some reason it seems that I have been told that I am lucky a lot recently in relation to the amount of help Eric is with Amelia. I don't know why this seems to be a topic of conversation so much, but for whatever reason it has been.

Anyway, it always seems to come up somewhere in conversation that Eric gets up with Amelia at night as much (if not more) than I do. He also gets her ready in the morning pretty much on his own. Many times he will stay home with her at night so I can go visit friends or my sisters or just go shopping for awhile. It's not like I don't do the same for him many times as well. For a good part of the year he plays volleyball once and sometimes twice a week and Lord knows that his work keeps him at the office many nights until after Amelia is in bed. But still many people (especially women) I've met can't get over how much he does with her.

I guess in lots of ways it never fazed me. I've always felt (as does he) that he is just as much her parent as I am and he truly wants to be a big part of her life. I do have to admit however that this has not always been the case between the two of us. Until Amelia was about 3 months old I spent nearly every night doing the entire night duty and day time duty. In Eric's defense though he wanted to help I just didn't really let him or know how to ask. These days though I would say we are about as close to 50/50 as two people can be. We signed up for this gig together. Maybe not on purpose :) but together non the less.

I guess that word sticks in my head. Lucky. Do I feel lucky to have both Eric and Amelia in my life- absolutely. I know that there aren't a whole lot of guys like Eric out there and I know I hit the jackpot in many ways. But me being lucky doesn't come from him helping me with OUR child. At least it doesn't feel like it does. I just think it's part of his job as a father and really so does he.

I feel lucky because I am married to a great guy who loves me more than I knew possible. For everything he has given me and does for me I am grateful I just have a hard time feeling "lucky" for sleeping while he gets up and feeds her at 3am. I did all the morning sickness and heartburn.... he's got the bottles :)

Let's just say that if I was on my own with her she would be our one and only :) Maybe that makes me less of a super mom but I tend to think it makes my family all the stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment